|This is the pattern of the quilt, from the book Fast Quilts from Fat Quarters|
After the Knitting and Stitching Show last year I blogged about a quilt I wanted to make which, terribly, remains nameless. I bought all of my fabric at last year's show and in an effort to be super effective I immediately pre-treated it. But as this is my first quilt, I decided to ease myself in gently by attempting the Japanese patchwork bag fist. I was glad I did, as it helped me with using a rotary cutter to cut layers of fabric accurately, which requires miles more pressure being placed on the ruler than I imagined. Or maybe I'm just getting weaker.
Anyway, before I could even start cutting I spent a few hours making a full size cutting plan in mount board and covering it in sticky back plastic. The book did helpfully suggest this as a useful tool, and it certainly kept me from destroying lots of fabric during the many, many hours of crossed eyes cutting that made up my month of March.
|The book calls for the cutting plan to be made to scale|
|There are over 1000 pieces in this quilt!|
April and May were consumed with starting the construction process. Playing around with different combinations of blocks is fun whilst also slightly frustrating to my inner OCD tendencies - when I can't quite get a perfectly balanced and pleasing spread of fabric shades, patterns and scales of pattern.
|The centre star|
|Experimenting with block combinations|