Being 5'' 2', and Ted Baker thinking women are all 6'', it drowned me. So I got out my pen and tape measure and drew a little sketch before handing back the garment with its £120 price tag.
At the start of this year I began to contemplate how I could make a similar outfit myself. Unfortunately, the jumpsuit patterns I could find by the leading manufacturers did not match the look I was after. Most of them had a low elasticated waist rather than the high fitted waist I wanted to create.
So I went about it by taking a wide leg trouser pattern and a pencil skirt pattern from April 2012 Burda. I placed the skirt pattern underneath the trouser one and heightened the waist on the trousers.
I then used the pattern to make up a trial pair of pants. Alterations were made which I marked with a running stitch. I then unpicked the pants and transferred the running stitch markers onto my paper pattern.
The pattern paper I am using is by Burda. As you will see below, it is not very resilient to pins or needles; in fact it rips very easily. Also pencil marks do not show up well. I have recently ordered some Swedish Tissue Paper, since seeing it used on The Great British Sewing Bee, from Gloriarty at www.gloriarty.co.uk. When it arrives I think I will transfer my patten onto it so that it can be used again.
|Front with marked alterations|
|Back with marked alterations|
|Back patten piece|
|Front pattern piece|
I then used the altered pattern to make the pants using a navy lightweight fabric. I opted to add a lining which ends at the knee.
I am giving the jumpsuit a smart casual feel by using an emerald satin on the top half. When I made my Duchess dress in June 2012 (McCall's M6508) I cut the bodice on folded fabric so that I had 2 of each piece which were mirror images of each other. I used one set to make the Duchess dress and made the other bodice up at a later date. I am using the spare bodice as the top half of this jumpsuit. It is the same as the image below, except that it does not have the ruffle:
I am up to the stage where I attach top and bottom halves. Maybe time to get sewing again...